Sunday 26 April 2015



Collecting, Restoring and Displaying Aviation Memorabilia.

My main interest is in collecting and restoring aviation memorabilia from the very first attempts at flight to the present.  This topic fascinates me because physiologically humans are not designed for flight.  It is only because of the creativity expressed by the human brain that we are able to defy this biological anomaly.  Flight is also a very graphic expression of how far science has come in a very short time.  It has only been 58 years between the first manned controlled fight and the first time humans went into space.  From this perspective my focus is primarily on the historical significance of items more so than the technical aspect even though the two are often difficult to separate.

As with any collection, the way they are displayed usually make a considerable difference.  Often more is not necessarily better.   I believe that sometimes a small collection displayed well can have as great an impact as a collection with many rare items which are simply warehoused.  Another important consideration with collecting anything is not to do it because you consider it an investment.  Do it because it gives you pleasure.  There is always someone who has a better collection or even a bigger and better one.  But, there is probably also someone who would be quite happy to have one like yours or to start one.
   
This blog is not intended to show THE way to restore or display aviation item but rather to demonstrate the way I have tried to do it. There are many factors which will determine how to display these items.  Space, size, type of collectible, whether or not you want to allow it to be handled and light, dust and heat are only a few things which need to be considered. Another important consideration which should not be overlooked is the materials available to make a display and the creativity of the owner.    

I enjoy collecting pieces I can research and I also like to build related groupings around my collection.  A number of pieces that I have, particularly relating to early balloons and airships are paper items which I have documented by publishing my research in aviation journals.  Others that I have are down right ugly but they have significance because of their place in the evolution of flight or because of the source from where I got them and have a place in my “Man Cave”.  I often look for specific parts to complete projects but usually the items which I have in my collection turn up unexpectently. It amazes me how the various pieces have either a direct or indirect connection to something else which enhances the ability to build groupings.  I have found pieces for my collection on E-bay but the majority of the items in my collection have come from people who know people who know people and being in the right place at the right time.  As it is with most things, developing contacts is invaluable.  This of course takes time but that is part of what makes it a hobby.  Having something in my collection is nice but a large part of the enjoyment (and frustration) is looking for something which is elusive.  The people I meet in the process are a large part of the enjoyment.  It doesn’t take long before a collector is off chasing another artifact.  It is all part of the fun.       

No comments:

Post a Comment